"I Am Root" (Pt. 1 of, "The Future King")
May 16, 2021 - Matt Herndon
- Important Note: Any notes you have taken will be lost if you leave this page before emailing them to yourself.
"A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse;
from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.
The Spirit of the Lord will rest on him—
the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding,
the Spirit of counsel and of might,
the Spirit of the knowledge and fear of the Lord—
and he will delight in the fear of the Lord.
He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes,
or decide by what he hears with his ears;
but with righteousness he will judge the needy,
with justice he will give decisions for the poor of the earth.
He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth;
with the breath of his lips he will slay the wicked.
Righteousness will be his belt
and faithfulness the sash around his waist.
The wolf will live with the lamb,
the leopard will lie down with the goat,
the calf and the lion and the yearling together;
and a little child will lead them.
The cow will feed with the bear,
their young will lie down together,
and the lion will eat straw like the ox.
The infant will play near the cobra’s den,
and the young child will put its hand into the viper’s nest.
They will neither harm nor destroy
on all my holy mountain,
for the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord
as the waters cover the sea.
In that day the Root of Jesse will stand as a banner for the peoples; the nations will rally to him, and his resting place will be glorious."
What this King will be like and what things will look like when he arrives:
- “The Spirit of the Lord will rest on him” (11:1).
- “He will delight in the fear of the Lord” (11:3).
- “With righteousness he will judge the need” (11:4)
- “The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat” (11:6)
- “He will stand as a banner for the peoples; the nations will rally to him, and his resting place will be glorious” (11:10)
Not who he will be, but who he will be related to:
- “A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse from his roots a Branch will bear fruit” (11:1)
But he will be different:
- “In that day the Root of Jesse will stand as a banner for the peoples…” (11:10).
- “No! We want a king over us. Then we will be like all the other nations, with a king to lead us and to go out before us and fight our battles” (1 Sam. 8:19).
- “‘Woe to the shepherds who are destroying and scattering the sheep of my pasture!’ declares the LORD. ‘The days are coming when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, a King who will reign wisely and do what is just and right in the land. In his days Judah will be saved and Israel will live in safety. This is the name by which he will be called: The LORD Our Righteous Savior’” (Jer. 23:1,5-6).
- Be careful of earthly "shoots": politicians, presidents, pastors, priests
- We all have them. But do they distract from God as our Root, our King?
Jesus Alone is our Shoot and Root
- “This is the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah the son of David…” (Mt. 1:1).
- “While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, ‘What do you think about the Messiah? Whose son is he?’ ‘The Son of David,’ the Pharisees replied. He said to them, ‘How is it then that David, speaking by the Spirit, calls him ‘Lord’? For he says, ‘The Lord said to my Lord: ‘Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies under your feet.’ If then David calls him ‘Lord,’ how can he be his son?’ No one could say a word in reply.” (Mt. 22:41-45).
- "’Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?’ And Jesus answered, “I am. And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven’” (Mk. 14:61-62).