The Way Back, pt. 2: "Fear Less and Trust More"
February 28, 2020 - Matt Herndon
Important Note: Any notes you have taken will be lost if you leave this page before emailing them to yourself.
- How should we cope with fear?
- Trust: “Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid” (12:2).
- Isaiah for Today / The Way Back
- “You, LORD, will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you. Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD himself, is the Rock eternal” (26:3-4).
- “Who among you fears the LORD and obeys the word of his servant? Let the one who walks in the dark, who has no light, trust in the name of the LORD and rely on their God” (50:10-11).
- “In quietness and trust is your strength” (30:15).
- “Do not trust in Egypt!” (30:15) / “Do not trust in idols!” / “Stop trusting in mere humans, who have but a breath in their nostrils. Why hold them in esteem?” (2:22)
Do Not Fear
- “Do not fear, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God” (41:10).
- “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you” (43:1-3).
- Fight, Flight, or Freeze Stress Response
- "Overactive Fear Response" / Chronic Anxiety
How do we fear the world less and trust God more?
- Meditate (with pic)
- “Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Consider the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than birds?” (Mt. 6:25:26).
- “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Phil. 4:6-7). Pray.
- “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise—in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?” (Ps. 56:3-4).
- Medication and Exercise
- Fear God Instead
- “Do not fear what this people fears, and do not dread it. The LORD Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy, he is the one you are to fear, he is the one you are to dread” (8:12-13).
- “Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell” (Mt. 10:28).
- Why should we fear a loving God? How does fearing God help us trust in him more?
- "The eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love, to deliver them from death and keep them alive in famine" (Ps. 33:18-19